Sweden has created its fair share of global brands, but none with a reputation as good as Volvo Cars, when it comes to passenger safety. Volvo cars is an automotive manufacturer based in Gothenburg, Sweden. The Volvo Group has a long history of success and was established in 1927. Since then the company has had multiple owners, to include the US based, Ford Motor Company. Its current owner is a Chinese automotive behemoth, Geely Automobile, which acquired Volvo Cars in 2010. Geely also owns the automotive brands Lotus Cars and Polestar.
Volvo Cars was one of the first mainstream OEM’s to commit to a push towards zero-emission road transportation. In 2017, the company announced its intention to ‘electrify every car in our range’. Volvo is not new to ‘electric propulsion’ and has already deployed a test fleet of battery-electric vehicles (BEVs) in 2010 and had launched the first plug-in hybrid diesel cars in 2012. Volvo Cars Recharge is the sub-brand for all electric vehicles (EVs) developed by the automotive company.
The automotive manufacturer has an ambition to achieve 50% sales from pure electric cars and the remaining 50% from plug-in hybrid electric cars by 2025. The company is also committed to becoming ‘climate neutral’ across the value chain by 2040. The Volvo electric vehicle (EV) current portfolio includes:
- C40 Recharge Pure Electric Crossover
- XC40 Recharge Pure Electric SUV
- XC90 Recharge Plug-in Hybrid SUV
- XC60 Recharge Plug-in Hybrid SUV
- XC40 Recharge Plug-in Hybrid SUV
- S90 Recharge Plug-in Hybrid Saloon
- S60 Recharge Plug-in Hybrid Saloon
- V90 Recharge Plug-in Hybrid Estate
- V60 Recharge Plug-in Hybrid Estate
Electric Cars: The Basics
For those of you new to zero-emission electric driving, we recommend a read of the following articles:
- Types Of Electric Vehicles: A Short Guide
- Should I Buy An Electric Car In 2021?
- Top 20 Jargons Used In The Electric Vehicle Industry!
- UK Plug-In Electric Car Grant 2021
- What Is The Difference Between Conventional Hybrids and Plug-In Hybrids?
- Electric Car Home Charging OLEV EVHS Grant
- Best Electric Cars 2021
- Electric Cars Range: What Is WLTP?
The Volvo S60 Recharge Plug-In Hybrid Saloon
The Volvo S60 conventional petrol and diesel saloon variants have been available since 2000. As with other Volvo models, the company has also introduced the S60 as a lower emission plug-in hybrid electric saloon car. The plug-in electric Volvo saloon (PHEV) is perfect for families already familiar with the advantages of owning and driving a Volvo car i.e. a fantastic reputation for safety and quality. Of course, the electric Recharge PHEV further enhances this enviable reputation, given the environment-friendly nature of lower emission plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs).
PHEVs are perfect for individuals and families:
- Keen to take a step towards lower emission and environment-friendly driving
- Need a vehicle for extensive and regular long-distance travelling
- Have limited access to private or public EV charging stations
- Do a number of short commutes (30 miles and below) on a regular basis
- Keen to save money
It is a widely known fact, in that, the average distance of a trip in the UK is a mere 12 miles. An average vehicle in the UK will travel between 8k and 10k miles per annum i.e. less than 30 miles per day. The newest eco-friendly PHEVs on the market will average between 20 to 30 zero-emission electric miles on a fully-charged EV battery. In most plug-in electric cars the EV battery will be below 15 kWh in capacity.
The Volvo plug-in electric saloon has a 11.6 kWh EV battery with a WLTP zero-emission electric range of 34 miles. Depending on driving style, weather condition and the services used in the e-saloon, expect a real world range closer to 29 miles. However, that would be more than sufficient for most daily commutes using the EV battery i.e. driving emission-free and also saving money (the running cost per mile of an EV is far lower than a petrol or diesel car). Depending on the cost of electricity, the cost per mile for driving on electric can be as low as 3 pence per mile. Bottom-line driving on electric miles is both cost efficient and eco-friendly!
The Volvo PHEV is practical and versatile without compromising on quality and comfort. The rear seats are comfortable for adults, with ample legroom and headroom and appropriate for most family requirements, to include, school runs, family outings, grocery shopping and a lot more! The interior quality of the electric saloon is high and driving is a pleasure.
The Volvo S60 Recharge Plug-in Hybrid is available to lease via e-zoomed at fantastic prices. Simply follow this link to enquire!
|At A Glance|
|EV Type:||Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV)|
|Plug-In Car Grant (PiCG):||Not Available|
|Engine:||Electric/ Petrol (T8 AWD plug-in hybrid)|
|Available In UK:||Yes|
|Trims (2 Options)|
|R-Design (from £46,075)|
|Polestar Engineered (from £51,350)|
|Good acceleration and drive||Cheaper PHEV options available|
|Interior quality and cabin space good||Boot smaller than rivals|
|Cheap to run when on electric mode||Limited EV range|
|EV Battery & Emissions|
|EV Battery Type:||Lithium-ion|
|EV Battery Capacity:||Available in one battery size (11.6 kWh)|
|Charging:||On board charger: 3.7kW AC (charge up to 80% in 3 hours). DC charging not available|
|Charge Port:||Type 2|
|EV Cable Type:||Type 2|
|Tailpipe Emissions:||40g (CO2/km)|
|Battery Warranty:||8 years or 100,000 miles|
|Volvo S60 Plug-in Hybrid (T8 AWD plug-in hybrid)|
|EV Battery Capacity:||11.6 kWh|
|Pure Electric Range (WLTP):||34.2 miles (combined)|
|Electric Energy Consumption (kWh/100km):||15.5|
|Fuel Consumption (mpg):||156.9 (combined)|
|Charging:||On board charger: 3.7kW AC|
|Top Speed:||112 mph|
|0-62 mph:||4.4 seconds|
|Drive:||All-wheel drive (AWD)|
|Electric Motor (kW):||N/A|
|Gross Vehicle Weight (kg):||2,500|
For those of you seeking to buy and install EV home charging points, we offer a vast range of high quality and high performance electric car charging points to include a seamless service of supply of product and installation at very competitive prices.
We at e-zoomed are more than happy to assist you with all your EV needs to include:
- Compare and buy your next green car
- Compare and buy EV charging points
- Compare and buy best electric car insurance deals in the UK
- Compare and buy best electric car breakdown cover in the UK
- Compare and buy green electricity for your home and electric vehicle
- Compare and buy best priced electric car charging cables and EV accessories
- Compare and buy best e-scooters!
- Compare and buy electric kick scooters
- Compare and buy an e-bike