The iconic MINI internal combustion engine (ICE) car was manufactured by a UK based company, the British Motor Corporation (BMC). In 1996, the company was acquired by the German automotive company BMW (Bayerische Motoren Werke AG), headquartered in Munich. The production of the classic petrol MINI stopped in 2000.
BMW is well known for its portfolio of luxury vehicles to include the famed Rolls-Royce luxury cars. The group also manufacturers a number of cars under its BMW brand, to include battery-electric vehicles (BEVs) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs). The BMW i3 EV is an excellent example of a successful pure electric car.
Electric Cars: The Basics
For those of you new to zero-emission electric driving, we recommend a read of the following articles:
- Types Of Electric Vehicles: A Short Guide
- Should I Buy An Electric Car In 2021?
- Top 20 Jargons Used In The Electric Vehicle Industry!
- UK Plug-In Electric Car Grant 2021
- What Is The Difference Between Conventional Hybrids and Plug-In Hybrids?
- Electric Car Home Charging OLEV EVHS Grant
- Best Electric Cars 2021
- Electric Cars Range: What Is WLTP?
The MINI COUNTRYMAN Plug-In Hybrid
The MINI Countryman (ICE) was first launched in 2010. The second-generation MINI Countryman was introduced in 2017. The new Cooper SE ALL4 plug-in hybrid was launched in June 2017. PHEVs are appropriate for individuals and families:
- Keen to take a step towards lower emission and environment-friendly driving
- Need a vehicle for extensive and regular long-distance travelling
- Have limited access to private or public EV charging stations
- Do a number of short commutes (30 miles and below) on a regular basis
- Keen to save money
It is a widely known fact, in that, the average distance of a trip in the UK is a mere 12 miles. An average vehicle in the UK will travel between 8k and 10k miles per annum i.e. less than 30 miles per day. The newest eco-friendly PHEVs on the market will average between 20 to 30 zero-emission electric miles on a fully-charged EV battery. In most plug-in electric cars the EV battery will be below 15 kWh in capacity.
The MINI plug-in electric compact SUV has a 10.0 kWh EV battery with a WLTP zero-emission electric range of 32 miles. Depending on driving style, weather condition and the services used in the EV, expect a real world range closer to 27 miles. However, that would be more than sufficient for most daily commutes using the EV battery i.e. driving emission-free and also saving money (the running cost per mile of an EV is far lower than a petrol or diesel car). Depending on the cost of electricity, the cost per mile for driving on electric can be as low as 3 pence per mile. Bottom-line driving on electric miles is both cost efficient and eco-friendly!
The plug-in electric crossover SUV is practical and family-friendly, with amply space for short and long commutes. The electric vehicle (EV) is cheap to run on the zero-emission electric mode.
|At A Glance|
|EV Type:||Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV)|
|Vehicle Type:||Crossover SUV|
|Plug-In Car Grant (PiCG):||Not Available|
|Engine:||Hybrid (internal combustion engine & electric motor)|
|Available In UK:||Yes|
|Trims (3 Options)|
|MINI PHEV Classic (from £33,500)|
|MINI PHEV Sport (from £36,300)|
|MINI PHEV Exclusive (from £36,300)|
|Good looks and exterior styling (iconic)||Limited cabin space (small boot)|
|Smooth ride and transition between combustion and electric (eDrive). PHEV praised for reliability||Expensive compared to alternatives|
|High quality interior and standard equipment||Limited visibility (rear)|
|EV Battery & Emissions|
|EV Battery Type:||Lithium-ion|
|EV Battery Capacity:||Available in one battery size (10 kWh)|
|Charging:||100% charge using 3.7 kW wallbox in 120 minutes|
|Charge Port:||Type 2|
|EV Cable Type:||Type 2|
|Tailpipe Emissions:||40-46g (CO2/km)|
|Warranty:||8 years or 100,000 miles|
|Average Cost Of Residential Charging|
|Battery net capacity : 8.8 kWh||£1.27|
|Battery net capacity : 11.6 kWh||£1.67|
|Battery net capacity : 12.0 kWh||£1.73|
|Battery net capacity : 13.10 kWh||£1.89|
|Battery net capacity : 14.10 kWh||£2.03|
- Note 1: The average cost of residential electricity in the UK varies depending on the region, supplier and type of energy used. An average for the UK is 14.40 p/kWh.
- Note 2: Not all EV manufactures make available the data on net EV battery capacity, and in a number of instances the EV battery capacity advertised, does not state if it is gross or net capacity. In general, usable EV battery capacity is between 85% to 95% of the gross available capacity.
|Charging Times (Overview)|
|Slow charging AC (3 kW – 3.6 kW):||6 – 12 hours (dependent on size of EV battery & SOC)|
|Fast charging AC (7 kW – 22 kW):||3 – 8 hours (dependent on size of EV battery & SoC)|
|Rapid charging AC (43 kW):||0-80%: 20 mins to 60 mins (dependent on size of EV battery & SoC)|
- Note 1: SoC: state of charge
|MINI COUNTRYMAN Plug-In Hybrid|
|EV Battery Capacity:||10 kWh|
|Pure Electric Range (WLTP):||32 miles|
|Electric Energy Consumption (miles/kWh):||3.1|
|Fuel Consumption (WLTP combined):||156.9 mpg|
|Charging:||100% charge using 3.7 kW wallbox in 120 minutes|
|Top Speed:||123 mph|
|0-62 mph:||6.8 seconds|
|Electric Motor (kW):||162|
|Max Power (HP):||220|
|Driving Modes:||3 (Auto eDrive, Max eDrive, Save Battery)|
|Unladen Weight (kg):||1,790|
For those of you seeking to buy and install EV home charging points, we offer a vast range of high quality and high performance electric car charging points to include a seamless service of supply of product and installation at very competitive prices.
We at e-zoomed are more than happy to assist you with all your EV needs to include:
- Compare and buy your next green car
- Compare and buy EV charging points
- Compare and buy best electric car insurance deals in the UK
- Compare and buy best electric car breakdown cover in the UK
- Compare and buy green electricity for your home and electric vehicle
- Compare and buy best priced electric car charging cables and EV accessories
- Compare and buy best e-scooters!
- Compare and buy electric kick scooters
- Compare and buy an e-bike