Another Affordable All-Electric Car Enters The Fast Growing EV Market
It is now a regular occurrence. A newsflash from another mainstream automotive manufacturer, announcing the introduction of an EV to the rapidly evolving electric vehicle market. Last month, another British automotive manufacturer MG (‘reborn’ under Chinese ownership), unveiled the price and specs for its first all-electric crossover model, the MG ZS EV.
The all-electric SUV has been priced to appeal to aspiring EV buyers with smaller budgets. The ZS EV is priced at £21,495 to include the UK government PiCG grant and an OEM ‘grant match’. A total saving of £7,000 from the base price of £28,495. MG is keen to position the battery electric vehicle (BEV) as the ‘best value electric car’, and with the ‘double grant’, it is hard to argue otherwise. The MG grant match is only available for the first 2,000 orders, so be quick to reserve the EV on their website.
Of course, the MG EV is not a Tesla Model X, nor a Jaguar I-PACE, in terms of design and styling, but that is the point. MG is keen to position the all-electric SUV as an ‘entry level’ stepping stone from internal combustion engine (ICE) drivers to zero-emission electric driving. It will stand alongside the likes of the Kia e-Niro and Hyundai Kona EV.
The MG ZS EV is not a new design. The MG ZS petrol crossover has been around for a while, and the EV has used the ZS platform without compromise.
Technical & Specification: Overview
- 0-60 mph: 8.5 sec
- Max speed: 87 mph
- Battery capacity: 44.5 kWh (lithium-ion)
- Maximum power: 143 (PS)
- WLTP range (combined): 163 miles
- Battery warranty: 7 years/ 80,000 miles
The electric vehicle also comes with rapid charging capability and can charge from 0-80% in 40 minutes from a 50 kW chargepoint. At home, the EV can charge within 7 hours on a 7kW home chargepoint. So, easy to charge overnight while you are fast asleep.
For And Against
- Entry level and accessible price entry for an all-electric crossover
- Respectable driving range to meet the needs of most everyday commutes
- Interiors not as ‘posh’ as some of its competitors
- Not an inspiring drive or design
For those keen to familiarise themselves with the world of all-electric zero-emission driving, without mortgaging the house, the MG ZS EV is an option worth considering seriously. The crossover SUV will be well suited for the following:
- School runs
- Grocery shopping and visits to the local high street
- Work commuting
- Weekend short trips
The hugely competitive price for the first 2,000 bookings is compelling. You can always upgrade to a Jaguar I-PACE or a Telsa Model X, once you have gained ‘real world’ experience of driving a battery electric vehicle (BEV). It is also a real alternative to the Renault Zoe and Nissan Leaf.
We at e-zoomed are more than happy to assist you with all your EV needs to include:
- Compare and buy an electric car in the UK
- Compare affordable electric car finance and lease deals in the UK
- Compare and buy best electric car insurance deals in the UK
- Compare and buy best electric car breakdown cover in the UK
- Compare and buy green electricity for your home and electric vehicle
- Compare and buy best priced electric car charging cables and EV accessories
And more! Do sign up to our e-newsletter to learn more about electric cars. Also follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.