BMW Is Well Positioned To Leverage The Experience From The All-Electric ‘i’ Models To Succeed with the Pure Electric BMW i4. The Expected Range Of The i4 Positions The Four-Door Coupe Strongly Against The Tesla Model 3
- The BMW i4 is an all-electric four-door premium coupe expected to be on sale in 2021 (BMW confirmed this at the 2018 Paris Motor Show)
- It is based on the iVision Dynamics concept that made its debut at the 2017 Frankfurt Motor Show
- The i4 is an electrified powertrain of the 4-series and looks similar to the 4-series Gran Coupe. It is slotted between the BMW i3 hatchback and the BMW i8 sports
- The i4 is part of the line-up of pure electric cars to be introduced by BMW. The German automotive company expects to launch as many as 25 electric vehicles by 2025, with 12 expected to be battery electric vehicles (BEVs)
- The battery electric vehicle will be assembled in Munich (Germany) and will be the first all-electric saloon for BMW. The i4 includes the fifth generation BMW eDrive Technology
- Expected to include lightweight carbon-fibre construction, which is currently featured in the BMW i3 and the BMW i8
- BMW is deploying a ‘flexible vehicle architecture’ that will be used by both internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles and electric vehicles (EVs)
- The design has also been inspired by the BMW iNext SUV concept unveiled at the 2018 Frankfurt Motor Show
- Positioned to compete head-on against the very successful Tesla Model 3 and the Tesla Model S , the i4 will have a range up to 372 miles on the new WLTP cycle (it could be the case that the i4 will be available in different battery sizes and ranges)
- Prices yet to be confirmed but expected to start from £55,000
Battery And Range
- Battery capacity: up to 150 kWh (yet to be confirmed by BMW)
- Battery type: lithium-ion
- Range (WLTP): 372 miles (yet to be confirmed by BMW)
- Capable of rapid charging
Power & Performance
- 0-62 mph: 4 seconds (yet to be confirmed by BMW)
- Top speed: 124 miles (yet to be confirmed by BMW)
- Brake horsepower: N/A
- Torque: N/A
BMW has done well to challenge the dominance of Tesla electric cars, in particular, in terms of range. If indeed the all-electric BMW i4 can achieve a range of 372 miles on the new WLTP cycle, then the i4 could be a serious contender to the Tesla Model 3 (348 miles WLTP).
In the e-zoomed weekly news update this week, we had written about the BMW i3, which will not be continued. BMW is wise to focus its efforts on the new generation of electric vehicles, incorporating the learnings from its current portfolio of EVs.
Given the company’s experience with zero-emission cars and their commitment to a more comprehensive EV portfolio, we believe, BMW has the potential to successfully challenge the dominance and leadership of Tesla electric cars. However, to succeed, automotive manufacturers like the Munich based BMW Group will need to deliver both, long range and affordable pricing!
We at e-zoomed are more than happy to assist you with all your EV needs to include:
- Securing for you the perfect electric car
- Affordable electric car finance
- Well-priced electric car insurance
- Competitive EV breakdown cover
- Attractive green energy EV tariffs
And more! Do sign up to our e-newsletter to learn more about electric cars. Also follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.