The Reinvented Fisker Brand Highlights Two Important Themes, That May Define The Success Of The EV Manufacturer And The EV Sector: The Carbon Footprint Of The Manufacturing Process Of An EV And The Need For Redefining The Car Purchase And Ownership Model. Only Time Will Tell If The Competitively Priced All-Electric Fisker Ocean Has All The Ingredients To Survive And Build. If It Does, The Co-Founder Henrik Fisker Would Have Achieved A Lot, Given The Failure With The Fisker Karma!
Update July 2020: Fisker aims to go public, taking advantage of the overall positive investor sentiment and appetite, given the continued success of Tesla Inc stock. Spartan Energy Acquisition Corp (NYSE: SPAQ -Special Purpose Acquisition Company), backed by global investor, Apollo Global Management will will merge with Fisker Inc. The transaction values Fisker at US$ 2.9 billion. The electric vehicle manufacturer would be well positioned to fund the production and deliveries of its 2022 all-electric Ocean SUV. The transaction with Spartan Energy Acquisition Corp is expected to be completed by the fourth quarter.
- Though Henrik Fisker is not as well known as Elon Musk, the co-founder of Tesla Inc., Henrik Fisker has also been an influential figure in the global automotive sector, with a strong track record as a car designer.
- Many of us may not recall the Fisker Karma electric vehicle, one of the first production plug-in luxury hybrid EVs. The Fisker Karma sedan was manufactured by Fisker Automotive, a company co-founded by Henrik in 2007. Despite having sold and produced nearly 2,500 EVs, the company suspended trading in 2012, as its battery manufacturer filed for bankruptcy. Though the business was purchased by a Chinese company in 2014, Henrik retained the Fisker trademarks.
- Henrik launched Fisker Inc. in 2016 and like its competitor Tesla Inc., headquartered the start-up in California. In early March 2019, Fisker announced its intention to launch an all-electric SUV, which was later named the Fisker Ocean. The Fisker Ocean was unveiled at the 2020 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
- The electric vehicle manufacturer claims the Fisker Ocean is the ‘world’s most sustainable vehicle’ and the ‘world’s greenest car’. The battery-electric vehicle (BEV) SUV interior is comprised of ‘vegan interior’ and recycled materials.
- The all-electric SUV is expected to have a zero-emission range up to 300 miles on a single charge. The EV is expected to come with a 80 kWh lithium-ion EV battery. The EV will be available with with 4-wheel drive & high-performance dual motors. It even comes with a solar roof!
- The pure-electric SUV is priced at US$ 37,499 (US$ 29,999 after US Federal EV tax credit). This will make the Fisker Ocean cheaper than a Tesla Model 3.
- Production is expected to commence in 2021 with deliveries in 2022. The EV can be reserved on the Fisker website with a US$250 deposit. The Fisker Ocean is available to be purchased outright or leased under flexible lease terms, with ‘no long-term contracts’. According to the company, the customer can return the electric vehicle in ‘one month, eight months, 22 months or several years’.
The Los Angeles based EV company, is expected to unveil another two all-electric vehicles in due course, based on the Fisker Ocean platform. The company aims to manufacturer up to one million EVs between 2022 and 2027.
We at e-zoomed are more than happy to assist you with all your EV needs to include:
- Compare and buy your next green car
- Compare and buy best electric car insurance deals in the UK
- Compare and buy best electric car breakdown cover in the UK
- Compare and buy green electricity for your home and electric vehicle
- Compare and buy best priced electric car charging cables and EV accessories
- Compare and buy best e-scooters!
- Compare and buy electric kick scooters
- Compare and buy an e-bike