When Safety Meets Environment, A Volvo Electric Car Is Born!
Volvo Cars, the Swedish automotive manufacturer, was one of the first mainstream OEM’s to commit to a push towards zero-emission road transportation. In 2017, the company announced its intention to ‘electrify every car in our range’.
Volvo is not new to ‘electric propulsion’ and has already deployed a test fleet of battery-electric vehicles (BEVs) in 2010 and had launched the first plug-in hybrid diesel cars in 2012. The Gothenburg headquartered company is owned by the Chinese automotive behemoth, Geely, that also owns the automotive brands Lotus Cars and Polestar.
Apart from the XC40 Recharge pure electric SUV, Volvo also has the following plug-in electric hybrid cars in its fast expanding green car portfolio:
- XC90 Recharge Plug-in Hybrid SUV
- XC60 Recharge Plug-in Hybrid SUV
- S90 Recharge Plug-in Hybrid Sedan
- S60 Recharge Plug-in Hybrid Sedan
- V90 Recharge Plug-in Hybrid Estate
- V60 Recharge Plug-in Hybrid Estate
- XC40 Recharge Plug-in Hybrid SUV
- The automotive manufacturer (OEM) aims to achieve up to 20% sales from plug-in hybrids in 2020. Its ambition for 2025 is to achieve 50% sales from pure electric cars and the remaining 50% from plug-in hybrid electric cars. The company is also committed to becoming ‘climate neutral’ across the value chain by 2040.
- The all-wheel drive pure electric XC40 Recharge comes with a 78 kWh lithium-ion battery, with a claimed WLTP range up to 208 miles. The electric vehicle can be charged from 0% to 80% within 40 minutes using fast charging DC/150 kW (60 miles range in 10 minutes). Home charging, is between 8 to 10 hours (0% to 100%) using an 11kW home electric car charging point.
- The ‘true urban’ zero-emission SUV can achieve 0 to 62 mph in 4.9 seconds, with a top speed of 111 mph (408 hp).
- The Recharge is an all-electric version of the successful internal combustion engine (ICE) XC40 SUV. The EV is based on the Compact Modular Architecture (CMA) platform.
- The electric vehicle (EV) has a brand new infotainment system powered by Google’s Android operating system.
- The all-electric Volvo Recharge is available in a multiple of colour options to include, Black-Stone, Fusion Red, Glacier Silver, Sage Green, Crystal White and more! 20″ 5V Spoke (diamond cut/ matt graphite) come as standard.
- The EV has a number of packs included: climate, driver-assist, versatility, power seat, lounge. Car protection can be added for an additional £200. Other optical equipment includes a retractable tower (£1,150), bike carrier (£100), luggage net (£90) and more. According to Geely, consumer interest and demand has been strong for the EV. Production is in Ghent (Belgium) and China.
- Prices start from £59,985.
Battery And Range
- Battery capacity: 78 kWh (launch edition)
- Battery type: lithium-ion
- Range (WLTP): 208 miles
- Capable of rapid charging (up to 150 kW DC fast charging capability): zero to 80% in 40 minutes
Power & Performance
- 0-62 mph: 4.9 sec
- Top speed: 111 mph
- Brake horsepower: 408 bhp
- Torque: 660 Nm
We at e-zoomed are more than happy to assist you with all your EV needs to include:
- Compare and buy your next green car
- Compare and buy EV charging points
- Compare and buy best electric car insurance deals in the UK
- Compare and buy best electric car breakdown cover in the UK
- Compare and buy green electricity for your home and electric vehicle
- Compare and buy best priced electric car charging cables and EV accessories
- Compare and buy best e-scooters!
- Compare and buy electric kick scooters
- Compare and buy an e-bike