Overview: The Four-Seat Pure Electric Car Is Instantly Recognisable As Porsche For Both Looks And Performance
Porsche Taycan, is the first all-electric car from the famed German luxury sports car manufacturer, Porsche. Stuttgart based Porsche, owned by the Volkswagen Group, has already made significant investments to achieve its electrification ambitions.
- The Porsche Taycan battery electric vehicle (BEV) was initially previewed as the Mission E concept car at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 2015. Taycan (Turkish) translates as ‘lively young horse’ in reference to the ‘leaping horse’ in the Porsche crest. Porsche confirmed the name in 2017
- Though the zero-emission prototype Taycan did make an appearance at the 2019 Goodwood Festival of Speed (2019), the Taycan production model will debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show in mid-September 2019
- Range under the old NEDC regime is expected to be over 310 miles. However, under the stricter WLTP standards it will be lower. Expect the WLTP range to be closer to 280 miles on a full charge
- The automotive manufacturer claims that with the Porsche Taycan 800V Charging System, the battery can be charged up to 80% in 15 minutes
- The Taycan has taken inspiration from both the Porsche Panamera and the Porsche 911. The Taycan is built on an entirely new platform codenamed J1. Projected production of 40,000 units per year
- Expected to be priced between £70,000 to £135,000. At least two variants are expected. The Turbo and the Turbo S. However, this has yet to be confirmed by Porsche
- Pre-order deposits received from 20,000 customers (deposit approximately EUR 1,000). Deliveries expected to commence early 2020
Battery And Range
- Battery capacity: 90 kWh (potentially higher. Manufacturer has yet to disclose)
- Battery type: lithium-ion
- Range (NEDC): 310 miles or higher
- Capable of rapid charging
Power & Performance
- 0-62 mph: sub 3 seconds (yet to be confirmed by manufacturer)
- Top speed: 155 miles (yet to be confirmed by manufacturer)
- Brake horsepower: 600 bhp (yet to be confirmed by manufacturer)
- Torque: 750 lb ft
Comprehensive reviews yet to be published, as reviewers have not been able to conduct a full driving test. However, a shorter test has been conducted on the Porsche Taycan prototype.
The electric vehicle industry is evolving so rapidly, that it is challenging to keep up with all the new pure electric models being unveiled. Certainly, the EV industry has come a long way from the early Nissan models in terms of performance. The Porsche Taycan certainly demonstrates the fundamental commitment of some of the leading luxury automotive manufacturers to a zero-emission road transportation future. We look forward to receiving more details of the production version Porsche Taycan. Simply cannot wait!
We at e-zoomed are more than happy to assist you with all your EV needs to include:
- Compare and buy an electric car in the UK
- Compare affordable electric car finance and lease deals in the UK
- Compare and buy best electric car insurance deals in the UK
- Compare and buy best electric car breakdown cover in the UK
- Compare and buy green electricity for your home and electric vehicle
- Compare and buy best priced electric car charging cables and EV accessories
And more! Do sign up to our e-newsletter to learn more about electric cars. Also follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.