Though Electric Cars Are Here To Stay, The Fantastic Plug-In Car Grant (PiCG) Will Not Be Around As Long. So Take Advantage While It Lasts! Buy A Zero Tailpipe Emission EV Now!
With the continue rise in electric cars in the UK, it is not surprising that many potential buyers of green cars are trying to understand the incentive or grant available for buying an electric vehicle. Electric driving is fast becoming mainstream in the UK, as consumers seek cleaner options for transportation.
The ongoing COVID 19 has given us all an opportunity to embrace a world with lower air pollution, given the reduced levels of road traffic between March 2020 and July 2020. Internal combustion engine (ICE) petrol and diesel cars have a significant detrimental impact on air quality in our cities, towns and village, with harmful implication on children and the elderly.
The July 2020 New Car Registrations announcement from the SMMT was not surprising. Battery-electric vehicles (BEVs) were up a whopping 260% compared to July 2019. Moreover year-to-date, BEVs were up an astounding 175%, in a market characterized by significant falls in volumes for petrol and diesel cars. We at e-zoomed expect this trend to continue as we progress with the remainder of 2020 and move into 2021. Perfect timing for the very first World EV Day on 9th September 2020.
It is also evident that consumers have been prudent in taking advantage of the currently available incentives to purchase an electric car. The plug-in car grant (PiCG) commenced in 1st January 2011 with a grant up to £5,000 towards the purchase of an electric car. The grant was then revised down to £4,500 and revised further down to the current levels of £3,000. We can expect a further reduction in the electric car incentives and in due course, we expect these grants to be terminated. So bottom-line, take advantage of these incentives while still available!
Before we proceed to list the EVs eligible for the UK plug-in car grant (PiCG), it is important to understand the different types of electric vehicles (EVs), as not all low-emission are eligible for the UK electric car incentive scheme. A variety of EVs qualify for the PiCG, to include electric cars, electric motorcycles and scooters, electric mopeds, electric vans, electric taxis and even large electric vans and trucks. This article focuses on electric cars, in particular on battery-electric vehicles (BEVs) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs).
Qualifying Criteria For Plug-In Car Grant (PiCG) For Electric Cars
- Electric car with CO2 emissions of less than 50 g/km and can travel at least 70 miles (112 kms) zero-emissions.
- Electric car must cost less than £50,000 (RRP) to include VAT and delivery fees.
- Grant up to 35% of the purchase price, capped to a maximum of £3,000.
- The UK government currently lists 27 electric cars (previously ‘category1’) on its website.
Electric Cars Eligible For The Plug-In Car Grant
- BMWi3 and i3s
- BYD e6
- DS 3 Crossback E-Tense
- Honda e
- Hyundai IONIQ Electric
- Hyundai KONA Electric
- Kia e-Niro
- Kia Soul EV
- Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive
- Mercedes-Benz eVito Tourer
- MG ZS EV
- MINI Electric
- Nissan e-NV200 (5-seater and 7-seater)
- Nissan LEAF
- Peugeot e-208
- Peugeot e-2008
- Polestar 2
- Renault ZOE
- SEAT Mii electric
- Skoda Citigo-e iV
- Smart EQ fortwo
- Smart EQ forfour
- Tesla Model 3 Long Range
- Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus
- Vauxhall Corsa-e
- Volkswagen e-up!
- Volkswagen e-Golf!
To claim the grant, a buyer does not need to do anything as this will be managed by the dealership and manufacturer. The cost of your purchase price will reflect the grant.
We at e-zoomed are more than happy to assist you buying your Next Green Car and with all your EV needs, to include:
- Compare and buy your next green car
- Compare and buy best electric car insurance deals in the UK
- Compare and buy best electric car breakdown cover in the UK
- Compare and buy green electricity for your home and electric vehicle
- Compare and buy best priced electric car charging cables and EV accessories
- Compare and buy best e-scooters!
- Compare and buy electric kick scooters
- Compare and buy an e-bike