Electric Cars: The Basics
For those of you new to zero-emission electric driving, we recommend a read of the following articles:
- Types Of Electric Vehicles: A Short Guide
- Should I Buy An Electric Car In 2021?
- Top 20 Jargons Used In The Electric Vehicle Industry!
- UK Plug-In Electric Car Grant 2021
- What Is The Difference Between Conventional Hybrids and Plug-In Hybrids?
- Electric Car Home Charging OLEV EVHS Grant
- Best Electric Cars 2021
- Electric Cars Range: What Is WLTP?
Sign up to the e-zoomed Electric Living newsletter
Though Electric Cars Are Here To Stay, The Fantastic Plug-In Car Grant (PiCG) Will Not Be Around As Long. So Take Advantage While It Lasts! Buy A Zero Tailpipe Emission EV Now!
Last week, the UK government announced a further change to the incentive framework offered for electric vehicles (EVS) in the UK. The incentive, more commonly known as the Plug-In Car Grant (PiCG) has been reduced i.e. the maximum grant now available is £2,500 (reduced from £3,000). This is not the first time and nor will it be the last that the grant is revised lower!
The government is keen to encourage the uptake of affordable electric cars, hence the reason why the criteria for an EV to qualify has been reduced from £50,000 purchase price (RRP) to £35,000 purchase price (RRP). Best-selling electric cars like the Tesla Model 3 do not qualify for the grant.
The EV sector has seen an increase in the availability of affordable electric vehicles in the recent past and e-zoomed offers a number of affordable EVs for lease, to include, the SEAT Mii Electric One, the Volkswagen e-up battery-electric vehicle (BEV), and many more! According to the government, the market has witnessed an increase of 50% in affordable EVs costing less than £35,000 since 2019.
For those of you new to plug-in electric car grants in the UK, we recommend a read of the following to bring you up to speed with the brief history of PiCG!
- Which Cars Are Eligible For The UK Plug-In Car Grant In 2020? Take Advantage While Grants Are Still Available!
- Electric Car Plug-In Grants UK: Budget 2020
- Plug-In Car Grant For Electric Cars: Potentially The Last Few Weeks To Take Advantage Of The UK Government EV Incentive!
Electric Vehicles Eligible For Plug-In Car Grant (PiCG)
There are 7 categories of electric vehicles (EVs), eligible for a grant. EVs have to be approved by the government to be eligible. EV categories approved include:
- Electric cars
- Electric motorcycles
- Electric mopeds
- Electric small vans
- Electric large vans
- Electric taxis
- Electric trucks
Qualifying Criteria For Plug-In Car Grant (PiCG) For Electric Cars
- Electric car with CO2 emissions of less than 50 g/km and can travel at least 70 miles (112 kms) zero-emissions.
- Electric car must cost less than £35,000 (RRP) to include VAT and delivery fees.
- Grant up to 35% of the purchase price, capped to a maximum of £2,500.
Electric Cars Eligible For The Plug-In Car Grant
- BMW i3
- BMW i3s
- Citroen ë-C4
- DS 3 Crossback E-Tense – Prestige
- DS 3 Crossback E-Tense – Performance Line
- Fiat 500e
- Honda e
- Hyundai IONIQ Electric – Premium
- Hyundai IONIQ Electric – Premium SE
- Hyundai KONA Electric (39kWh) – SE Connect
- Hyundai KONA Electric (39kWh) – Premium
- Hyundai KONA Electric (64kWh) – Premium
- Kia e-Niro (39kWh) – 2
- Kia e-Niro (64kWh) – 2
- Kia Soul EV
- Mazda MX-30
- MG MG5 EV (52.5kWh)
- MG MG5 EV (61.1kWh)
- MG ZS EV
- MINI Electric
- Nissan e-NV200 (5 Seater)
- Nissan e-NV200 (7 Seater)
- Nissan Leaf
- Peugeot e-208
- Peugeot e-2008 – Active Premium
- Peugeot e-2008 – Allure
- Peugeot e-2008 – Allure Premium
- Renault ZOE
- SEAT Mii electric
- Skoda Citigo-e iV
- Skoda ENYAQ iV 60 Nav – ecoSuite
- Skoda ENYAQ iV 60 Nav – Lodge
- Skoda ENYAQ iV 60 Nav – Loft
- Skoda ENYAQ iV 60 Nav – Lounge
- Skoda ENYAQ iV 60 Nav – Suite
- Smart EQ fortwo
- Smart EQ forfour
- Vauxhall Corsa-e
- Vauxhall Mokka-e
- Vauxhall Vivaro-e Life – Combi
- Volkswagen e-Golf
- Volkswagen e-up!
- Volkswagen ID.3 Pro (58kWh 145PS) – Life
- Volkswagen ID.3 Pro Performance (52kWh 204PS) – Family
- Volkswagen ID.3 Pro Performance (58kWh 204PS) – Life
- Volkswagen ID.3 Pure (52kWh 148PS) – Family
- Volkswagen ID.3 Pure Performance (45kWh 150PS)
- Volkswagen ID.4 Pure (52kWh 148PS) – Life
To claim the grant, a buyer does not need to do anything as this will be managed by the dealership and manufacturer. The cost of your purchase price will reflect the grant.
For those of you seeking to buy and install EV home charging points, we offer a vast range of high quality and high performance electric car charging points to include a seamless service of supply of product and installation at very competitive prices.