This Is A Time For Reflection. For Us, As Individuals And Businesses, To Evaluate Our Relationship With Mobility, And In Particular, Find Ways To Reduce Ownership Of Cars!
Despite the impact of the Coronavirus predicament on the sale of new cars in the UK, we believe there is a silver lining for us, as a broader society. For March 2020, compared to the same period last year, registrations were down a significant 40.4% for private cars and 47.4% for fleet. Year-to-date there has been a decrease of over 30% for private and fleet registrations.
Diesel and petrol internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles have seen the most significant decline in March 2020. In March 2020, compared to March 2019, diesel registrations are down by 61.9% and petrol registrations down 49.9%.
Not surprisingly, sale of battery-electric vehicles (BEVs) have continued to defy the broader market sentiment. All-electric cars or pure electric cars increased by a phenomenal 197.4% in March 2020 compared to March 2019. Year-to-date BEVs are up 204%, an astounding performance, given the overall automotive market. These figures reinforce an important narrative, which companies like e-zoomed have been labouring.
The underlying fundamental trend is strongly in the favour of green cars, as consumers seek cleaner solutions for transportation. This trend will only continue to increase, till such time, zero-emission electric cars replace polluting internal combustion engine cars. The upcoming ban on petrol and diesel cars will certainly play a role in expediting this process, such that we move to a lower carbon road transportation economy in the UK. Of course, keep in mind, the sooner we migrate to large-scale emission free electric driving, the sooner we can achieve long-term targets of improved air quality levels.
We urge all government authorities (local, regional and national) to identify learnings from the current crisis to execute a transportation framework and strategies, that can achieve long-term sustained benefit to society. We urge the following:
- Reduce personal ownership of cars in cities by 75% in the next 24 months.
- Provide better public transportation solutions and shared mobility solutions, to include e-cars, e-bikes and e-scooters.
- Ban all diesel vehicles from city centres with immediate effect.
We also urge all consumers, private and fleet, to reduce their ownership of vehicles. To create transportation strategies that increase utilisation rates of vehicles, reduce vehicles (fleet size), lower transportation costs and lower pollution levels (air and noise). We urge all consumers to target a 50% reduction over the next 24 months. Of course, we also encourage replacing incumbent ICE fleets with zero-emission battery-electric vehicles (BEVs).
We at e-zoomed are more than happy to assist you buying your Next Green Car and with all your EV needs to include:
- Compare and buy an electric car in the UK
- Compare affordable electric car finance and lease deals in the UK
- Compare and buy best electric car insurance deals in the UK
- Compare and buy best electric car breakdown cover in the UK
- Compare and buy green electricity for your home and electric vehicle
- Compare and buy best priced electric car charging cables and EV accessories
- Compare and buy best e-scooters!