Is The Future Of Mobility Self-Charging Solar Electric Cars? If Companies Like Sono Motors Succeed In Their Grand Ambitions, Then The Answer Is A Resounding Yes!
Like the Netherlands based Lightyear solar car start-up, Germany based solar electric car start-up, Sono Motors GmbH is also looking to change e-mobility with the use of solar cells on its self-charging solar electric vehicle (SEV), called the Sion.
The company was founded in 2016 by Jona Christians and Laurin Hahn with a vision to realise a future free of fossil fuels, with only electric and shared transportation. Between 2016 and 2017, the Munich based company conducted crowdfunding campaigns and raised EUR 2 million. It has come a long way since then, and in January 2020, the start-up raised EUR 50 million in 50 days.
- The all-electric front-wheel drive car is equipped with 248 integrated solar cells (monocrystalline silicon cells). These cells are placed on the hood, fender, sides, roof and rear of the vehicle. At peak performance, the solar cells can generate up to 1.2 kilowatts. The solar cells are protected by a robust, scratch-resistant polymer.
- The solar electric car has a 35 kWh lithium-ion EV battery. The battery will be available to rent, lease or outright purchase.
- Estimated emission-free range is up to 155 miles (WLTP). By way of comparison the Lightyear One solar car prototype has a zero-emission range of up to 354 miles on a single charge. However, Lightyear claims a potential range up to 450 miles for its production solar electric car.
- The self-charging Sono Motors solar range is up to 21 miles/ day. The company claims the self-charging will help generate an additional range up to 3,600 miles per year using solar power.
- The battery-electric vehicle can be charged via a dedicated charging point (up to 50 kW DC and 11 kW AC). The EV can be rapid charged up to 80% in 30 minutes using CCS.
- The solar green car has a 120 kW motor (163 HP) and capable of a top speed up to 87 miles per hour. 0-62 mph in under 9 seconds (torque: 270 Nm).
- Features will include, anti-lock braking system, ESP with traction control, electronic power steering, infotainment system with integrated connectivity and mobility services/ goSono systems (powerSharing, rideSharing, carSharing).
- The EV will come with a standard warranty of 2 years or 100,000 kms.
- The solar electric car will be manufactured in Europe (Sweden) using 100% renewable energy. Total number of Sion SEVs to be manufactured are 257,000. So far the solar electric vehicle manufacturer claims to have received 13,000 pre-orders. Production will commence second half 2021.
- The first production Sion vehicles will be completed end 2021. The solar electric cars will be used to conduct approvals etc. Customer deliveries are expected to commence in early 2022.
- Priced at EUR 25,500 to include German VAT (£23,500). You can reserve one online by following this link.
We at e-zoomed are more than happy to assist you with all your EV needs to include:
- Compare and buy an electric car in the UK
- Compare affordable electric car finance and lease deals in the UK
- Compare and buy best electric car insurance deals in the UK
- Compare and buy best electric car breakdown cover in the UK
- Compare and buy green electricity for your home and electric vehicle
- Compare and buy best priced electric car charging cables and EV accessories