There Is A ‘Greta Thunberg’ In Many Of Us, And She Will Only Grow Taller!
The image this week of an angry young girl as she came face to face with Donald Trump, will be etched in my memory, just as profoundly as the individual in front of the tank (Tank Man) at Tiananmen Square (1989) or the young naked girl (Napalm Girl) in the Vietnam war (1972).
Greta Thunberg is right to feel angered and it is impossible to argue against her narrative. A few feet from her, stood one of the most powerful individuals on the planet, the President of the United States of America, an elevated position, with the power to influence the trajectory of billions of people. A role that can do, so much good or incomprehensible harm!
Unfortunately, for Greta and many like myself, Trump’s position on climate issues is better described by the latter. He has overwhelmingly failed to recognise the gravity and urgency of climate change and global warming. In fact, he has done worse. He has suggested on many occasions that global warming and climate change lack validity and simply ‘fake news’.
‘Greta’ is not an expression of just one individual. It is an expression of millions of young children and adults across the globe, that feel helpless and dismayed by the harsh realities of poor and ineffective decisions by governments around the world in relation to the environment.
The global climate protests this week are just a start of the birth of ‘Greta’ in many young adults. This is only the start!
You do not need to be an ‘activist’ to recognise the delicate and close link between the actions of an individual and the impact on the environment. In fact, if you read the ‘about us’ section on e-zoomed, I clearly state that one of the reasons I established this zero-emission transportation business is:
‘someone who has come to a firm realisation that each one of us has the responsibility and power to protect our environment’.
We should not depend on governments alone to slow and stop global warming. Each one of us should take positive and practical steps to combat climate change. Standing ‘helpless’ is not the solution. We have a number of ways to put the ‘Greta’ within us into practical action!
Three Ways You Can Combat Global Warming And How Can e-zoomed Help You?
- Drive less: use public transportation, mobility sharing schemes or walk. I have written about this numerous times and will never stop repeating this message. In particular, those of us that live in urban environments with good transportation infrastructure. Remember, every mile you avoid driving, in particular, polluting petrol and diesel cars, the lower the negative impact on the environment and lower the pollution
- Migrate to lower emission driving: stop driving polluting internal combustion engine (ICE) cars and migrate to lower emission vehicles (ULEVs), like plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) or emission-free battery electric vehicles (BEVs). However, I encourage everyone to take the ‘larger step’ and migrate to pure electric cars also referred to as BEVs (i.e. skip PHEVs). All-electric BEVs are perfect for school runs, commutes to work, local driving and even weekend trips
- Switch to renewable and green energy: energy produced from renewable sources like solar and wind, are far better than polluting coal-fired power generation plants. Green electricity and green gas are perfect for the home and charging your EV. We have partnered with Ecotricity, the first renewable energy supplier in the world, to offer you green electricity, that can save you money and protect the environment. It is easy to switch, just follow this link!
We at e-zoomed are more than happy to assist you with all your EV needs to include:
- Compare and buy an electric car in the UK
- Compare affordable electric car finance and lease deals in the UK
- Compare and buy best electric car insurance deals in the UK
- Compare and buy best electric car breakdown cover in the UK
- Compare and buy green electricity for your home and electric vehicle
- Compare and buy best priced electric car charging cables and EV accessories
And more! Do sign up to our e-newsletter to learn more about electric cars. Also follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.