We strongly encourage all individuals and families in the UK to source green energy for use at home and to charge their electric vehicle (EV). We all can contribute to make the world a better place for us all!
Most of you, if not all of you, have come across either a large ground based solar farm or onshore wind farm. Some of you may have also come across small-scale solar modules on the rooftops of residential and commercial buildings in the UK. And some fortunate enough to travel away from the UK may have flown over gigantic offshore wind farms.
It is, but impossible, not to have interacted with renewable energy generation assets if living in the UK or Europe. Renewable energy or clean energy has come a long way over the past decade.
In the UK, renewable energy has become a significant contributor to the UK energy framework, contributing over 25% of total generation capacity. We expect this to increase over the coming decade, as more homes adopt solar and battery storage to meet their energy needs.
Though many suppliers offer green energy to the 29 million UK homes, we must acknowledge the early stage leadership of two key green energy suppliers. Both ecotricity and Good Energy, are green energy companies well known for transforming the traditional UK energy sector from fossil fuels, to a more vibrant and environmentally friendly mix of energy sources and suppliers.
Ecotricity began supplying ‘green electricity’ in 1996, making the company not only the first company in the U.K to supply renewable energy, but also achieved the incredible distinction of the world’s first green electricity supplier.
Both companies have introduced avant-garde green energy plans backed by price fairness, transparency and a redefined approach to customer service.
For those of you keen to learn more about green electricity for your home, we encourage you to read the following articles:
- Why choose green energy?
- How Do I Know If My Green Electricity Plan is Really Green?
- Best Electric Car Charging Tariffs
- Best Green Energy Suppliers UK: The Complete Guide!
Top 3 Green Energy Suppliers In the UK: 2021
- Delivered green electricity to its first consumer on 1stApril 1996.
- On 13thDecember 1996, Ecotricity established its first windmill.
- In 1997, Dale went to Japan to attend one of the first electric vehicle events and did try to buy an EV from Toyota.
- In 1999, the company built the first multi MW windmill project. It was also the first windmill to have a viewing platform (designed by Sir Norman Foster).
- In 2000, the founder of Body Shop, the late Anita Roddick, converted all her stores into green electricity sourced from Ecotricity.
- Supplied green energy to the residential customers for the first time in 2003.
- In 2007, Al Gore presented ecotricity with the world’s leading green energy prize at the Ashden awards.
- In 2010 the company launched a ‘Green Gas Tariff’, making it the first company to offer a truly green dual fuel tariff.
- In 2011, the company launched the ‘Electric Highway’, the UK’s first motorway network for charging electric vehicles.
- In 2017, the company launched the ‘Fully Charged Bundle’, an energy and EV bundle.
- The company sells 100% green electricity.
- They also generate their own green electricity by owning their own wind and solar farms.
- Ecotricity green credentials reach further than just the home. The company owns and operates the Electric Highway, the national network of charging points for electric cars.
- The company also offers the ‘Fully Charged Bundle’ specially created for EV drivers.
- Powering your home and your electric car with the Fully Charged EV Bundle, could save you up to £165 in the first year. The EV driver is also able to use the Electric Highway charging stations at half the normal price (15p/kWh instead of 30p/kWh, with no connection fee or monthly subscription).
- You can switch to the Fully Charged EV bundle via e-zoomed.
- The first green energy company in the world to be founded by a woman. Juliet Davenport, the founder of Good Energy continues to be a significant source of inspiration for generations.
- Good Energy named twice as the Sunday Times ‘Best Green Company’.
- Wiltshire Wildlife Trusts ‘Outstanding Contribution to the Environment 2009’.
- The Observer’s ‘Ethical Award for the Best Online Retail Initiative’.
- In 2012, Davenport was named as ‘PLUS CEO of the Year’.
- In the 2013 New Year Honours List, Davenport was awarded an OBE.
- The company sells 100% green electricity.
- Good Energy sources renewable energy from 3rdparty generators and also own their own wind and solar farms. The company sources green power from 1,400 locations across the UK.
- The company’s fuel mix includes, wind energy (57%), biogeneration (20%), solar (18%) and hydro (5%).
- The company also offers an EV driver specific offering: EV Driver 4 tariff. The EV tariff offers a reduced unit rate and standing charge compared to our standard variable tariff. It’s designed for customers that do the majority of their EV charging at home and typically consume more electricity.
- The EV tariff can save up to £20-£36 per year when compared to the Default Tariff, and over £80 a year when compared to the Standard Variable Tariff.
- You can switch to Good Energy green electricity via e-zoomed.
- Bulb, a relatively new entrant in the UK was founded by Amit and Hayden, with a mission to make the UK energy industry better.
- Bulb has certainly accomplished a lot since its inception in 2015. As of March 2019, the company had a million customers, positioning it as the largest supplier of renewable energy in the UK.
- The company does not own or operate any renewable energy assets. Instead it sources energy from 3rdparty independent generators of renewable energy (wind, solar and hydro), either directly or via the wholesale market.
- The gas is 100% carbon neutral (10% produced from renewable sources like food or farm waste).
- Yet to launch an EV specific tariff offering.
For those of you seeking to buy and install EV home charging points, we offer a vast range of high quality and high performance electric car charging points to include a seamless service of supply of product and installation at very competitive prices.
We at e-zoomed are more than happy to assist you with all your EV needs to include:
- Compare and buy your next green car
- Compare and buy EV charging points
- Compare and buy best electric car insurance deals in the UK
- Compare and buy best electric car breakdown cover in the UK
- Compare and buy green electricity for your home and electric vehicle
- Compare and buy best priced electric car charging cables and EV accessories
- Compare and buy best e-scooters!
- Compare and buy electric kick scooters
- Compare and buy an e-bike