Which is the best type of energy for home and charging my EV?
Renewable energy, also referred to as green energy or clean energy is the best type of energy to source for your home and electric car. Renewable energy is sourced from natural sources or processes like wind, hydro and solar, that are ‘renewable’ and not depleted.
Renewable energy can be both green electricity and green gas. Renewable energy is the best type of energy to use because of its positive attributes in relation to the environment. Green energy produces no greenhouse gases and also helps reduce air pollution. Other benefits of green energy also include reducing the dependence on energy imports, improving national energy security and lowering costs.
The major types of renewable energy sources include:
- Solar generation
- Wind generation (onshore and offshore)
- Hydroelectric power
- Biomass energy
- Geothermal energy
- Tidal and wave energy
Non-renewable energy or ‘dirty energy’ is energy sourced and generated from finite and dirty sources like coal, oil and gas (i.e. fossil fuels). Dirty energy has been one of the major contributors to climate change, air pollution and increased incidence of health problems. For those of you new to green energy we recommend a read of the following:
- Why choose green energy?
- How Do I Know If My Green Electricity Plan is Really Green?
- Best Electric Car Charging Tariffs
For avoidance of any doubt, the only type of energy you should source for your home is renewable or green energy.
Who Are The Best Green Energy Suppliers?
The good news is that there are now a number of high quality suppliers of green energy in the UK. We have come a long way since 1995, when ecotricity, a leading green energy company was founded by the trailblazer Dale Vince.
Not only did visionaries like Dale Vince and Juliet Davenport (founder, Good Energy) create an entire new industry, but also forced the incumbent electricity and gas behemoths (the big six suppliers) to start supplying environmental friendly renewable energy.
The continued success of renewables in the UK, helped us achieve for the first time since the industrial revolution, power generation for two weeks without the use of coal. The National Grid confirmed this at the end of May 2019.
We at e-zoomed look forward to the UK achieving 100% renewable electricity for 100% of the time i.e. no more polluting coal-fired power stations adversely impacting the health of our families.
We can achieve the above milestone only if you help make the change. So if you are currently sourcing dirty energy for your home, ‘now’ is an excellent time to make the switch to green energy via e-zoomed. The process is easy and only takes a few minutes. One household at a time we will save our environment and country!
- The company sells 100% green electricity. In fact, the first company in the world to supply green electricity.
- They also generate their own green electricity by owning their own wind and solar farms.
- ecotricity green credentials reach further than just the home. The company owns and operates the Electric Highway, the national network of charging points for electric cars.
- The company also offers the ‘Fully Charged Bundle’ specially created for EV drivers.
- Powering your home and your electric car with the Fully Charged EV Bundle, could save you up to £165 in the first year. The EV driver is also able to use the Electric Highway charging stations at half the normal price (15p/kWh instead of 30p/kWh, with no connection fee or monthly subscription).
- You can switch to the Fully Charged EV bundle via e-zoomed.
- The company sells 100% green electricity. The first green energy company in the world to be founded by a woman. Juliet Davenport, the founder of Good Energy continues to be a significant source of inspiration for generations.
- Good Energy sources renewable energy from 3rdparty generators and also own their own wind and solar farms. The company sources green power from 1,400 locations across the UK.
- The company’s fuel mix includes, wind energy (57%), biogeneration (20%), solar (18%) and hydro (5%).
- The company also offers an EV driver specific offering: EV Driver 4 tariff. The EV tariff offers a reduced unit rate and standing charge compared to our standard variable tariff. It’s designed for customers that do the majority of their EV charging at home and typically consume more electricity.
- The EV tariff can save up to £20-£36 per year when compared to the Default Tariff, and over £80 a year when compared to the Standard Variable Tariff.
- You can switch to Good Energy green electricity via e-zoomed.
- Though a relatively new entrant in comparison to ecotricity and Good Energy, Bulb has certainly accomplished a lot since its inception in 2015. As of March 2019, the company had a million customers, positioning it as the largest supplier of renewable energy in the UK.
- The company does not own or operate any renewable energy assets. Instead it sources energy from 3rdparty independent generators of renewable energy (wind, solar and hydro), either directly or via the wholesale market.
- The gas is 100% carbon neutral (10% produced from renewable sources like food or farm waste).
- Yet to launch an EV specific tariff offering.
- Octopus Energy was established in 2016 to challenge the incumbent energy suppliers in the UK. Since then, the green energy supplier has developed a reputation for ‘value for money’ and exception customer service in the provision of green energy.
- The company supplies green electricity to more than 1.5 million homes in the UK.
- All the tariffs supplied are 100% renewable electricity and carbon offset gas.
- In 2018, the energy supplier launched Agile Octopus to harness the potential of smart meter technology by allowing customers to adjust their consumption to times when the wholesale price of energy is the cheapest.
- The company offers electricity with no exit fees. Tariffs include, Octopus Fixed, Flexible Octopus and Supergreen Octopus. The company also offers Agile Octopus, Octopus Go (EV charging) and Outgoing Octopus.
- OVO Energy was launched in 2009 to make energy ‘cheaper, greener and simpler’.
- The company has attracted over a million customers since its launch.
- The company supplies renewable electricity as standard.
- In 2019, the company won the ‘uSwitch Supplier of the Year‘.
- The company offers 4 green energy plans for homes, to include: Better Smart Energy, Better Energy, 2 Year Fixed Energy and Simpler Energy.
- The company also offers ‘EV Everywhere‘, a home energy plan for electric vehicle owners. The plan is a 2 year fixed energy plan and is 100% green energy.
- 100% renewable electricity and 100% carbon offset gas.
- Electricity sourced from wind energy (80.5%) and solar energy (19.5%). The company does not own its own renewable energy plants. It sources from 3rdparty renewable energy generators.
- Does not offer a specific EV tariff.
Green Energy UK
- Supplies 100% green electricity and 100% green gas (the only energy supplier in the UK to offer 100% green gas).
- Source from 3rdparty renewable energy generators to include the RES Group.
- The company offers the EKO Energy Tariff. The energy is independently certified as 100% renewable.
- It’s generated in locations that ensure marine and bird habitats are safeguarded. The company claims that the tariff is ‘genuinely sustainable‘ as the energy farms have to ensure minimum impact on the surrounding environment.
- Supplies 100% green electricity sourced from 3rdparty renewable electricity generators across the UK.
- Offers a ‘low price commitment’: We created So Energy with the belief that renewable energy should be accessible to everyone, so our fixed rate tariffs will always be among the best value offered by any supplier, backed by our Low Price Commitment.
- Does not offer a specific EV tariff.
Green Star Energy
- Launched in 2013, in the UK, but owned a US based group, Just Energy Group Inc.
- The company does not own renewable energy assets. It sources from 3rdparty green energy generators. Sources 100% green electricity.
- The company is now a part of Shell Energy.
- Does not offer a specific EV tariff plan.
For those of you seeking to buy and install EV home charging points, we offer a vast range of high quality and high performance electric car charging points to include a seamless service of supply of product and installation at very competitive prices.
We at e-zoomed are more than happy to assist you with all your EV needs to include:
- Compare and buy your next green car
- Compare and buy EV charging points
- Compare and buy best electric car insurance deals in the UK
- Compare and buy best electric car breakdown cover in the UK
- Compare and buy green electricity for your home and electric vehicle
- Compare and buy best priced electric car charging cables and EV accessories
- Compare and buy best e-scooters!
- Compare and buy electric kick scooters
- Compare and buy an e-bike