It Is Indeed Interesting To Note The Positive Turnaround In The VW Brand Image, From The Dieselgate Scandal To Leadership In Zero-Emission Road Transportation, All Within Just Five Years!
It is never easy to wipe the slate clean, specially in an event quite as damaging as the Volkswagen emission scandal, known as Dieselgate or Emissionsgate. However, the Volkswagen Group has demonstrated that, with strong leadership and management, resurrection from the gallows of death is possible!
The emission scandal had commenced in September 2015, with the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issuing a notice of violation to the German automotive group. What followed, could not be scripted, even by the most creative Hollywood script writers. The scale of the investigation intensified immediately across the globe with many other regulators following the EPA move. The stock market was quick to demonstrate its displeasure, with the share price falling a third within a few days. As they say, the rest is history!
Given the above, it is indeed a remarkable turnaround by the Volkswagen Group, as it fiercely leads the charge in the global EV market. With the launch of its electric vehicle ID. Family, VW is fast cementing a dominant position in the EV race. According to consultants, Wood Mackenzie, Volkswagen is to become the world’s largest electric vehicle manufacturer by 2028, with the automotive behemoth planning to manufacturer 22 million electric vehicles.
VW has committed an investment up to Euro 30 billion by 2023. It aims to sell 3 million electric vehicles by 2025 and launch up to 70 new EV models over the next 10 years. That’s commitment!
The ID. Family includes the ID.3, the ID.Crozz, the ID.Buzz, the ID.Vizzion and the ID.R.
- The 2020 ID.3 was first shown as the concept I.D. prototype electric car at the Paris Motor Show in 2016.
- The all-new ID.3 five-door hatchback launch model ‘ID.3 1st edition’ was revealed at the Frankfurt Motor.
- The EV model, an important step for Volkswagen has been positioned as an affordable electric car for ‘everyone’. The EV ID.3 model is marked as ‘3’, as this will be the third most important chapter for the German automotive company after the Beetle and Golf models.
- VW has confirmed that it has received up to 30,000 orders so far and achieved its intended target before the world premier at the Frankfurt Motor show. The company received the reservations from Germany, Norway, Sweden, United Kingdom and Netherlands.
- The electric car uses the MEB bespoke electric platform. Manufacturing commenced in November 2019 with deliveries expected to commence mid-2020.
- The ID.3 will be available in three battery sizes: 45 kWh, 58 kWh and 77 kWh.
- The 45 kWh base model has a WLTP range up to 205 miles. The 58 kWh mid-range model has a WLTP range up to 261 miles. The top of the range 77 kWh model has a WLTP range of up to 341 miles (the launch edition will be available only with a 58 kWh battery pack). Battery guarantee is for a period of 8 years or 160,000 km.
- Prices yet to be confirmed but launch model expected to be priced just under £30,000.
Battery And Range
- Battery capacity: 58 kWh (launch edition)
- Battery type: lithium-ion
- Range (WLTP): 261 miles
- Capable of rapid charging (up to 125 kW DC fast charging capability)
Power & Performance
- 0-62 mph: N/A
- Top speed: 112 miles
- Brake horsepower: 201 bhp
- Torque: 229 lb ft
- The ID. Space Vizzion wagon concept is the seventh EV concept from VW. The electric vehicle made its debut on 19th November 2019 at the 2019 Los Angeles Auto Show.
- The Space Vizzion production all-electric estate model is expected to be available in late 2021 in Europe and the following year (2022) in the US. It is also expected to be sold in China. It is based on the modular all-electric MEB architecture, the VW electric vehicle platform.
- The 82 kWh lithium-ion powered battery-electric vehicle has a claimed a range of up to 367 miles on a single charge. 0-60 mph acceleration in under 5.0 seconds. The top speed is electronically limited to 109 mph. (275 horsepower/205-kilowatt electric motor). The production model is expected to be available in rear or all-wheel drive.
- The Vizzion will have a fast-charging capability (150 kW DC).
- The ID.Space Vizzion is a four-seater, but the manufacturer may add a third row with three additional seats. The interior upholstery is eco-friendly and is manufactured from recycled apple waste. The concept comes with all the bells and whistles to include 22-inch allow wheels. The EV concept does live up to its name, with a sizeable boot space of 586 litres.
- Expect to see the augmented-reality head-up display in the production version along with a 15.6-inch centre console screen. As seems to be the trend, the electric vehicle does not have door handles i.e. illuminated surfaces need to be touched to open the door. Not clear if this will actually be incorporated in the production model, as there is always a difference, in some cases large, between a concept model and a production model. Moreover, we do expect the further changes to the styling.
- The ID. Buzz electric concept car is part of the VW ID. Family of electric cars.
- The ID. Buzz is the electric successor to the Microbus and will commence production in 2022. The Buzz is an electric minivan. It was first unveiled as a prototype at the 2017 North American International Auto Show.
- It is the second EV concept to be announced by VW. The battery-electric vehicle (BEV) is based on MEB architecture, the VW electric vehicle platform. It has been designed to ‘recall the original Type 2 Microbus’. The first VW Bus was sold in the United States in 1950. The ID. Buzz will be the seventh generation of the VW Bus.
- The ID. Buzz concept is expected to have a zero-emission range of 300 miles, with a 111 kWh battery pack. It is expected to be equipped with fast charging capability, charging up to 80% within 30 mins (150 kW). Indications so far suggest that the ID. Buzz will be available in two variants. The lower end EV is expected to be powered by a 83 kWh back and a rear-mounted electric motor (268 bhp), with a range of 200 miles.
- The ID. Buzz concept will also feature VW’s autonomous technology ‘ID. Pilot’ and augmented navigation (AR head-up display). The electric vehicle will also feature ‘intelligent LED lights’.
- Expect top see the production vehicle in 2022.
- The ID. Crozz is an all-electric crossover based on the VW MEB platform and part of the VW ID. Family of electric vehicles. The electric vehicle combines the strength of an SUV with the elegance of a coupe.
- The ID. Crozz prototype was unveiled at the 2017 Shanghai Auto Show (April). The ID. Crozz II was shown at the 2017 Frankfurt International Motor Show (September) The production model will be launched for sale in late 2020.
- The all-wheel drive battery-electric vehicle (BEV) will have an 83 kWh lithium-ion battery with an expected range up to 310 miles (NEDC) on a single charge.
- The EV will have a top speed of 180 km/h (112 mph) and a power output of 225 kW (300 bhp).
- VW has confirmed that it has received up to 30,000 orders so far and achieved its intended target before the world premier at the Frankfurt Motor show.
- The eco-friendly electric crossover is expected to be priced around US$ 40,000 (£30,000). The pricing strategy is expected to increase the ‘mass market appeal’ of the EV.
- The production body of the ID.Crozz has been spotted testing on roads, with production potentially at VW’s Emden factory in Germany.
Battery And Range
- Battery capacity: 83 kWh
- Battery type: lithium-ion
- Range (NEDC): 310 miles
- Capable of rapid charging (expected to charge up to 80% within 30 minutes)
We at e-zoomed are more than happy to assist you with all your EV needs to include:
- Compare and buy an electric car in the UK
- Compare affordable electric car finance and lease deals in the UK
- Compare and buy best electric car insurance deals in the UK
- Compare and buy best electric car breakdown cover in the UK
- Compare and buy green electricity for your home and electric vehicle
- Compare and buy best priced electric car charging cables and EV accessories